Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Rainy day books




In prepping for a booktalking program this week I learned a lot about penguins. Amazingly, there are seventeen kinds of penguins and they live in many different places, from Australian beaches to the Galapagos Islands, in icy Antarctica, in South America, down in South Africa and in fern-shaded forests. All of them swim and none of them fly. And they are all black and white, although some are much more nattily dressed than others.
Penguins, by Cheri Winner, North Word Press, 2002.

The other reading treat was a book about foods we eat, mainly weird foods people eat. As an avid listener of the Alexander McCall Smith books on CD about The No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency I have heard reference to mopane worms, a delicacy in Botswana. This book has a photo of the worms and describes the cooking options!
The Ate What? The Weird History of Food, by Richard Platt, Oxford Press, 2006.

Library 2.0 has started so I'll be learning something new there too. Apparently I'll have to create an "official" blog on a special site. More details about that later.

No comments: